Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teacher Talk

Today on the blog hop, we are sharing tips for new teachers. In many respects I do feel like a new teacher but I have some tips for those of you embarking on your new journey.


  1. Don't try to do everything. There are some things that cannot get done. When you are going through your college program, you create lesson plans that are amazing and time-consuming. When you are a teacher sometimes you just have to teach out of the manual. It's okay. The kids will still like you. Not everything needs a read-aloud and an art project.
  2. If you need some quiet time, have the kids break out the watercolor paint. Works like a charm.
  3. Find a mentor teacher if your district does not have a mentor program. Luckily, my district did. They provided me time to observe my mentor in the classroom and meet with her to ask questions and exchange ideas. Veteran teachers can be a valuable resource.
  4. Get to know your students and families. I cannot emphasize enough how important building relationships will be for you.
  5. When you are trying to build your library, start cheap. Check out yard sales, library book sales, secondhand stores like Goodwill, and definitely sign up for Scholastic Book Clubs. You will earn free bonus points to choose books for your library.
Good luck to all of the new teachers out there! You will do great!

1 comment:

  1. #1 on your list is so important. This will be my 5th year and I still have to remind myself to just let some things go!

    Great tips!

    ReplyDelete